Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Dilemma or Too Many Things Are Too Damn Cool




One of the advantages of such a long layoff from SCA fighting is that I can almost start from scratch, armour kit wise, using the research and information I’ve picked up over the years.  The problem is I have research ADD.  I will be cruising along, digging Post-Roman Britain in all its Misty Avalonian goodness and then I’ll see a special on William Marshal. Next thing you know I’m all surcote and troubadours.  Then I go to a Viking festival and I want a round shield.  Focus, I has none.  Not a big deal to many people, but I believe a cohesive appearance, on the field and off is part of being an exemplary SCA combatant.

Still, I think if I do a little self-assessment, I come down on the side of the surcote, at least for tourney gear.  When I think of the medieval fighting man, I see someone in a surcote with a heater shield.  Banners snapping in the wind, parti-coloured arming tents. One of my favourite weapon styles back when I was a semi-badass was bastard sword, which is sorta the iconic High Middle Ages weapon. Many armour sins can be hidden by a surcote.  Of course, this means I have to get off my duff and register some heraldry!  

No comments:

Post a Comment